[uanog] New virus attack

Oleg Cherevko olwi at icyb.kiev.ua
Wed Jun 28 11:33:25 EEST 2017

Microsoft:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2017/06/27/new-ransomware-old-techniques-petya-adds-worm-capabilities/

Цитата:
Initial infection appears to involve a software supply-chain threat
involving the Ukrainian company M.E.Doc, which develops tax accounting
software, MEDoc. Although this vector was speculated at length by news
media and security researchers—including Ukraine’s own Cyber
Police—there was only circumstantial evidence for this vector.
Microsoft now has evidence that a few active infections of the
ransomware initially started from the legitimate MEDoc updater process.
As we highlighted previously, software supply chain attacks
<https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2017/05/04/windows-defender-atp-thwarts-operation-wilysupply-software-supply-chain-cyberattack/>
are a recent dangerous trend with attackers which requires advanced
defense.

We observed telemetry showing the MEDoc software updater process
(EzVit.exe) executing a malicious command-line matching this exact
attack pattern on Tuesday, June 27 around 10:30 GMT.

--
Olwi